I hope that you and your families are well and have been able to enjoy some time together over the Christmas break. I am writing to clarify return dates in January 2021 following on from the announcements on 30th December from the Education Secretary and the Prime Minister, who stated that secondary academies return dates will be further delayed.
The following should help to clarify what will happen next for your child at Wilmington Academy:
Week beginning 4 January
- Monday 4 January – staff training day as previously planned
- Tuesday 5 January to Friday 8 January – All students in Years 7 to 13 have remote learning at home. Students will follow their usual timetables of lessons with work being set in the Google Classrooms with some ‘live lessons’. Please find home learning link: https://sites.google.com/wilmingtonacademy.org.uk/wadistancelearning/home
- Students in Year 11/Post 16 who have BTEC/public examinations this week will be informed of arrangements separate to this letter.
- Provision will be available for children of key workers and vulnerable students to attend on site education from Tuesday 5 January if required. If that applies to you then you should already have received a letter and you should reply to email@example.com to ‘book’ a place for your child. Further details will then be shared with you on Monday 4 January.
Week beginning Monday 11 January
- Monday 11 January – Yr 11 and Yr 13 return to on site learning
- All other year groups continue with remote learning at home for the week
- Key Worker and vulnerable student provision continue on site
Week beginning Monday 18 January
- All year groups return to onsite learning.
(Although the government has said that this date will be reviewed nearer the time)
Whilst we are disappointed that all of our children will not be returning to onsite learning with us for the start of term, we fully support the government’s decision to keep secondary students at home to ensure the safety of all and to allow schools time to set up the mass testing scheme.
I will write to families again on Monday 4th January with further details regarding ‘mass testing’. I want to reassure you, however, that no testing will take place in school, without full information having been shared with parents first and consent having been obtained.
Thank you for your ongoing support over these challenging and ever changing times. If you have any queries then please do not hesitate to contact the school on Monday 4 January, when staff will be available to respond to your queries.