Through our partnership with the Kent and Medway Progression Federation, the Academy is able to access support and guidance with Higher Education. As part of this support, both University of Kent and Canterbury Christ Church University have worked with both the whole cohort of Year 12 and Year 13 in order to provide application support, personal statement writing support and advice and guidance.
We also provide visits to our KMPF Partner Universities as part of the Year 12 Project Based Learning Week. This is an annual trip, which is arranged in order for students to gain an appreciation of what University life is like and the opportunities created by undertaking an undergraduate degree. Students who have applied to University, also gain the opportunity to attend a series of sessions aimed at preparing them for university life. The transition session will take place over three weeks and enable them to gain valuable study tips covering student finance and accommodation and skills such as note taking and research. Personal tutors also provide 1:1 support for tutees interested in going to University as part of our Pastoral programme and opportunities are given to students to attend university taster days for both the University of Greenwich, University of Kent, University for the Creative Arts, Sussex University and many more.
Students also attend two days at the University of Kent, in order to gain a taste of what university study is like and also the benefits of undertaking an undergraduate degree. Taster lectures include sport, forensic science and politics.
We have built working relationships with our partner universities – the University of Kent and University of Greenwich. Working as part of the Kent & Medway Progression Forum we have access to unrivalled Higher Education activities from a range of establishments. This enables us to work closely with student ambassadors and make the option of university a real prospect for our students.
Weekly meetings will be held with a member of the Post 16 Team from June to guide you through the UCAS process including:
- Using the UCAS website
- Searching for courses that are right for you
- Selecting your choices
- Writing of personal statements
- Submitting the application
- Applying for student finance – understanding the fees, loans and grants
At Wilmington Academy we have 53% students who have applied for university and all applications have now been successfully submitted. Conditional offers are now coming in. Students will have to ensure that revision sessions are being attended and coursework deadlines are met to ensure that places can be accepted.
Selected students are also invited to participate in the Leigh Aspire Programme, which looks at developing skills, awareness, and cultural capital through transformational experiences. To find out more about this programme, please click this link.
Some of the links below will help you to find the course and which universities provide it, how much it will cost and about benefits, loans, accommodation and fundraising events.
- Map of UK Universities – Map of universities in the UK, providing links to each one
- The Student Room – Advice on careers, academic, life, travel, finance, health etc, for older students
- Prospectus Finder – Get your prospectuses delivered to your home
- Want to be a Doctor (WAMS) – Information for potential medical students
Here are just some of the courses, apprenticeships and employment secured by our alumni:
- University of Liverpool: LL.B Law
- Degree Apprenticeship: Business Management
- Apprenticeship: The Bank of England
- University of York: English Literature
- Canterbury Christchurch: Radiography
- Degree Apprenticeship: Quantity Surveyor
- University of York: Physics
- Harper Adams: Agriculture
- Apprenticeship: Nursing
- UCL: Architecture
- Degree Apprenticeship: Accountancy
- University of Kent: LL.B Law
- Nottingham Trent: Business Management
- University of Sheffield: International Business Management
- Degree Apprenticeship: Stock Broker
- University of Exeter: English and History
- Canterbury Christchurch: Primary Education
- Degree Apprenticeship: Construction Management