I am sure you will be aware from recent media reports that the National Education Union (NEU) has declared strike action, which will take place initially on Wednesday 1 February 2023. I am writing to give you as much notice as possible of the likely impact of the action on the academy on this date.
While the planned action is as a result of a national dispute between the unions and the government, and not specifically Leigh Academies Trust or its academies, it is important that we respond accordingly in the interests of our students, whilst respecting the rights of our staff. In anticipation of this action we have already prepared a response plan to minimise disruption and ensure vulnerable students and the children of key workers are able to attend school. The plan is as follows:
- Years 7 to 10 and post 16 students will be asked to study remotely during strike days and lessons via Google Classroom should be completed in line with their normal timetable. All students have access to Google Classroom via their Chromebook.
- The academy will remain open for all students in Year 11 who will follow their normal timetable for the day. Catering will run as normal for this year group.
- All students on-site should adhere to the usual uniform expectations.
- Vulnerable, SEN students and the children of key workers will be able to attend school with a bespoke timetable for the day. Break and lunch times will operate as normal with appropriate supervision in place. Catering will run as normal for these students.
- If you are a key worker please book a place for your child via the following email: email@example.com. Please state Key Worker Place, Student Name, College and Year Group in the subject box.
- If you are a parent of a vulnerable or SEN child we will contact you separately to confirm whether or not you require your child to attend. SEN can also be contacted via this email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For students who are eligible for free school meals, For FSM students requiring a meal for 1 February, caterers will provide:
1 x baguette (vegan/vegetarian etc options will be available)
1 x fruit pot or piece of fruit
- FSM meals must be collected from the restaurant area on Tuesday 31 January at the end of the academy day.
- Parents of FSM entitled pupils need to confirm via this Google Form link whether a packed lunch is required on this Google Sheet by the end of Thursday 26 January.
We appreciate that industrial action is disruptive and you may need to change your plans or working arrangements whilst this action is ongoing. We will of course continue to monitor the arrangements in place and make modifications where possible to improve support for students wherever possible.
If the strike action is called off, then we will confirm this as soon as we can and in this eventuality the academy will be open as usual to all students.
The NEU has announced four strike days to take place on:
- Wednesday 1 February 2023
- Thursday 2 March 2023
- Wednesday 15 March 2023
- Thursday 16 March 2023
Please make a note of these dates now and I will write to you in advance of each date to confirm any changes to our arrangements.
If you have any questions or concerns about the alternative arrangements outlined above, please contact the academy at: email@example.com.
As ever, thank you for your continued support.
Mr M Gore