Re: Strike Action – Wednesday 15 and Thursday 16 March 2023
Further to my previous correspondence, the National Education Union (NEU) is planning to continue with its industrial action and the next strike days will take place on Wednesday 15 March and Thursday 16 March 2023. I am writing to give you as much notice as possible of the likely impact of the action on the academy.
It remains our intention to minimise disruption where possible and ensure vulnerable students and the children of key workers are still able to attend school in person.
For the majority of students, they will be asked to study remotely during strike days, and live online lessons will take place in line with the normal timetable where possible. Where a lesson was due to be taught by a member of staff that is striking, alternative work will be set to be conducted during that lesson.
Where possible we will ensure that students in year 11 and Post 16 who are preparing for exams are prioritised for live teacher support and we will aim to use strike days as part of the normal preparation for exams to avoid disruption during this critical period. Our plan for the day is as follows:
- Years 7 to 10 will be asked to study remotely during strike days and lessons via Google Classroom should be completed in line with their normal timetable. All students have access to Google Classroom via their Chromebook.
- The academy will remain open for all students in:
- Year 11 (Wednesday and Thursday);
- Year 12 and GCSE Resit classes (Wednesday and Thursday); and
- Year 13 (Thursday) who will follow their normal timetable for the day. Catering will run as normal for this year group.
- Vulnerable students, SEN students, and the children of key workers will be able to attend school with a bespoke timetable for the day. Break and lunch times will operate as normal with appropriate supervision in place. Catering will run as normal for these students.
- If you are a key worker please book a place for your child via the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state Key Worker Place, Student Name, College and Year Group in the subject box.
- If you are a parent/carer of a vulnerable or SEN child we will contact you separately to confirm whether or not you require your child to attend. SEN can also be contacted via this email: email@example.com
- For students who are eligible for free school meals. For FSM students requiring a meal for 15 and 16 March, caterers will provide: 2 x baguette (vegan/vegetarian etc options will be available) and 2 x fruit pot or piece of fruit
- FSM meals must be collected from the restaurant area on Tuesday 14 March at the end of the academy day.
- Parents of FSM entitled pupils need to confirm via this Google Form link whether a packed lunch is required on this Google Sheet by Monday 13 March, 12:00pm.
We appreciate that industrial action is disruptive and you may need to change your plans or working arrangements whilst this action is ongoing. We will of course continue to monitor the arrangements in place and make modifications where possible to improve support for students where we can. If the strike action is called off then we will confirm this immediately and in this eventuality, the school will be open as usual to all students.
If you have any questions or concerns about the alternative arrangements outlined above, please contact the academy at firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.
As ever, thank you for your continued support.
Mr M Gore | Principal